Thursday, November 5, 2009

Springsteen plays Detroit music in London, England.

My father has always been a man of simple pleasures. Autumn morning fishing trips, a couple cans of Stroh's beer, and rock and roll music. These small indulgences, though simple, were enjoyments that my mother never truly understood -or approved of. Thus, when I was old enough to understand such simple pleasures -I think it was around eighth grade- the late evening hours in our household, after my mother had gone to bed, became known as man's time. Nothing speaks father-son bonding quite like Stroh's beer and rock and roll.

There's something special about Springsteen's music. It's easy to get swept up by the Born In The USA hype, however, there are a lot of powerful, moving numbers of his that have slipped through the cracks and gone unnoticed by people our age. Perhaps I have stock invested in him; that he reminds me of my dad. However, I digress... this song is live at the Hammersmith-Odeon in London, 1975, right after Born To Run was released, but before his career started to blow up.

Springsteen and the E-Street Band are known for playing three hour plus shows with no breaks, often including some kind of medley -either comprised of his own songs or others -one of the reasons he's earned the title "the hardest working man in showbiz." Here's a Medley featuring the music of Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels. Enjoi.

4 comments:

  1. this is awesome. i have a 45 year old brother and bruce is his older brother. not so much but, bruce has been in my life ever since i can remember. can't wait to see him next week!!! it will be my first. my brother's mmmmm say 12th. looking forward to the born to run performance. for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to see bruce play live. we share a birthday, and just recently have I really begun to appreciate his music. Nebraska is on at least once a week at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nebraska is an amazing album. the back stories about each song are as devastating as they are magnificent. johnny 99 for example...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_99_%28song%29

    p.s. does citing wikipedia cheapen my integrity on this site? just checking.
    in advance, screw you!



    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we all shamelessly use wikipedia. You're a liar if you deny using it as a resource.

    Greetings from ashbury park is an excellent album also. I just really can't get passed nebraska. I feel like i'm on the best roadtrip of my life. The kind where you could drive for hours, not a care in the world. I adore it.

    ReplyDelete